Council is committed to supporting a responsible, fair and sustainable waste service for Hinchinbrook Shire households by providing all local domestic households with free disposal of up to four loads of green waste per annum at one of Council's waste and resource recovery centres.
To access a green waste voucher, the following principles needs to be met:
- Each household within the Hinchinbrook Shire is allocated four vouchers per financial year. Unused vouchers cannot be transferred to the following financial year;
- Vouchers can only be used for the free disposal of domestically sourced green waste;
- Vouchers can only be used for loads up to 250kg (equal to a full ute tray or a trailer) and delivered in a vehicle with a GVM of less than 4.5T;
- The vouchers are virtual, and a listing is held within the Waste and Resource Recovery Centre, therefore no paper copies will be distributed;
- To access a voucher, residents must provide proof of residence, such as their drivers’ licence or personal bill, at the time of transaction. The inability to provide proof of residence will lead to the customer being charged full cost for the transaction;
- Vouchers are attached to the property and not to a person. Should a property have a new tenant or owner, they are not entitled to any additional vouchers should any, or all, of the four vouchers allocated to the property already have been utilised;
- Vouchers can only be used for the disposal of green waste generated from the actual property for which the voucher is allocated;
- Vouchers are not transferable between properties; and
- Commercial operators can use a voucher on behalf of a resident, provided that the operator can provide proof of resident’s consent (such as a signed letter from the resident).
Some important definitions:
Domestically sourced green waste refers to green waste generated at a domestic premise and is taken from that premise by or on behalf of the occupier that generated the waste.
Green Waste is composed of garden waste, such as grass clippings, shrub and yard clippings, branches, woodchips, bark, wood, palm fronds, and weeds.