A+ A- A

About Council

Learn more about the Hinchinbrook Shire Council

Citizenship Ceremonies

Hinchinbrook Shire Council Citizenship Ceremonies

Events Calendar

A place where you can find and share events that are happening in the Hinchinbrook community.


Plumbing Applications

Compliance Assessable Work, Minor Work and Unregulated Work

The Plumbing and Drainage Act 2018 divides plumbing and drainage work into the following categories;

  • Notifiable Work;
  • Compliance Assessable Work;
  • Minor Work; and
  • Unregulated Work.

Compliance Assessable Works

Compliance Assessable Work is more complex in nature than other types of plumbing and drainage work, as it has a higher risk of failure. Prior to works commencement, you are require to obtain a Compliance Permit Approval from the Local Government entity, approving such works.

Plumbing and Drainage Applications:

In order to lodge a Plumbing and Drainage Application, you will need to complete Department of Housing and Public Works Form 1 and Form 7, and submit to Council relevant building plans (floor plan, site plan etc.), on-site design (If non-sewered area), soil test report, and payment of applicable application fee.

All forms can be found on the Department of Housing and Public Works website.

Once a Compliance Permit has been issued and work have commenced, contact Council's Built Environment Team to arrange an inspection.

Hinchinbrook Shire Council has a full time Plumbing and Compliance Officer who approves and inspects all regulated plumbing and drainage work in the Hinchinbrook Shire.

Council staff accepts plumbing and drainage applications and undertake supporting administrative processes.

Notifiable Work

Notifiable Work is common, everyday plumbing and draining work performed by plumbers and drainers on existing residential buildings such as Dwelling (Class 1a structures). 

You must be a licensed person to perform notifiable work and ensure you only perform the work covered by your license (for example, a licensed drainer can perform notifiable drainage work).

Notifiable work can include:

  • Installing, replacing or removing any electric, gas, solar or heat pump hot water heaters;
  • Installing fixtures such as toilets, showers and sinks; 
  • Extending, altering, replacing or removing water supply pipes; or
  • Extending, altering, replacing or removing waste pipes (depending on the placement of the pipework).

Minor Work

Minor work must be performed by a Queensland Building Construction Commission (QBCC) licensee but doesn’t need to be approved by the Local Government or reported to QBCC.

Some examples may include:

  • Maintaining or changing a tap fixture;
  • Replacing a toilet, be it the pan, cistern, a flexible water hose connection or the whole toilet suite;
  • A repair only to the immediate damaged part or section of a water pipe or waste pipe;
  • Unblocking a sewer drain; or
  • Maintaining an on-site sewerage facility.

Unregulated Work

Anyone can undertake Unregulated Work.  You are not required to be licensed nor do you need approval by QBCC or Local Government (which includes reporting).

If you aren’t a QBCC licensee and want to carry out unregulated plumbing work, you must still meet the minimum standards of work under the relevant legislation and codes.

Common examples of Unregulated Work may include:

  • Cleaning or maintaining ground level grates to traps or sanitary drains;
  • Installing or maintaining an irrigation or lawn watering system downstream from an isolating valve, tap or backflow prevention device on the supply pipe;
  • Replacing a washer in a tap;
  • Changing a shower head;
  • Replacing, in a water closet (WC) cistern, a drop valve washer, float valve washer or suction cup rubber; or
  • Replacing a domestic water filter cartridge.

Plumbing Resources

Checklists and other documentation can be found below.