A+ A- A

About Council

Learn more about the Hinchinbrook Shire Council

Citizenship Ceremonies

Hinchinbrook Shire Council Citizenship Ceremonies

Events Calendar

A place where you can find and share events that are happening in the Hinchinbrook community.



In order to carry out certain types of developments, an application may need to be made for a development permit.

Planning approval from either the Hinchinbrook Shire Council or the State will be required for any development that is categorised as assessable development.

The types of assessable development vary for each local government area. As a general rule, a development application must be lodged if you are:

  • building any free-standing permanent structure
  • extending or raising an existing structure
  • building a retaining wall over one metre high or a fence over two metres high
  • erecting signs

    You may also be required to lodge a development application if you are:

    • clearing native vegetation
    • constructing a levee
    • demolishing an existing building or structure (in part or in full)
    • creating new and/or additional allotments or amalgamating more than one lot
    • changing the use of the land (e.g. a house to a block of units; an office to a retail shop; a wheat farm to a piggery)
    • altering the exterior of a heritage place
    • carrying out significant structural changes to an existing building
    Make a Request

    Make a Request

    Request a service, make an enquiry or report an issue.

    Click here to find out more