A+ A- A

About Council

Learn more about the Hinchinbrook Shire Council

Citizenship Ceremonies

Hinchinbrook Shire Council Citizenship Ceremonies

Community Events Calendar

A place where you can find and share events that are happening in the Hinchinbrook community.


Operating a Food Business

Constructing a new business

If you are setting up a new food business you will need to lodge a Food Licence new application form  attaching:

  • A site plan showing the food premises location, waste storage, car parking, staff and public toilet facilities
  • A floor plan, drawn to a scale of not less than 1:50, showing details of the layout of all equipment, fixtures and fittings
  • Sectional elevation plans, drawn to a scale of not less than 1:50, showing a side-on view of the walls of the premises indicating the height of structures, benches, fixtures, fittings and equipment; including within cool rooms/freezer rooms if applicable
  • A hydraulic plan showing plumbing and drainage, drawn to a scale of not less than 1:50, showing the location of water and sewerage pipes and connection types, tundishes and grease traps
  • A mechanical exhaust ventilation plan, drawn to a scale of not less than 1:50, if applicable

Plans should indicate the types of material used for benches, floors, walls and ceilings.

Other necessary approvals include Planning and Development approvals.

Purchasing an existing business

If you are purchasing an existing business, Hinchinbrook Shire Council recommends you seek a Health Search of the existing business by completing a Health Search application form. This service includes:

  • a historic search of the business records to identify any major or recurring issues; and
  • a site inspection to identify any current issues with the premises, fixtures and fittings.

A photographic report is then compiled outlining all existing or potential non-compliances. This report can then be used in the negotiations between seller and purchaser.

Ceasing to Operate

If you are ceasing to conduct your business you cannot transfer your licence. You are required to surrender your licence to Council by completing an application to cancel a Licence or Registration and returning it to Council together with your original licence. You may be entitled to a rebate of part of your annual licence fee.

Self Assessment Checklists

The self assessment checklists are a convenient tool to enable food business operators to check that they are conducting their business in compliance with legislation.

Tasman Turtle's Picnic Day

Tasman Turtle's Picnic Day

Tasman Turtle’s Picnic Day is a free family event that focuses on being environmentally friendly.

Date: Saturday 28 May 2022

Time: 9.00am - 2.00pm

Where: TYTO Parklands

Cost: Free

Further information click here

Make a Request

Make a Request

Request a service, make an enquiry or report an issue.

Click here to find out more