A+ A- A

About Council

Learn more about the Hinchinbrook Shire Council

Citizenship Ceremonies

Hinchinbrook Shire Council Citizenship Ceremonies

Events Calendar

A place where you can find and share events that are happening in the Hinchinbrook community.


Overgrown Allotments

An overgrown property can be both a nuisance and a danger to neighbour's and the community. please note that all residents have a responsibility to keep their properties neat and tidy to improve the appearance of out community, remove places for vermin to breed and reduce health risks.

Hinchinbrook Shire Council defines "Overgrown" as vegetation (grass) that affects the visual amenity of the allotment is likely to attract reptiles or vermin or is deemed a fire hazard.

There are several problems caused by an overgrown land. Residential properties with overgrown land create a visual eyesore and may impede the public's access to footpaths and streets. If you have difficulty walking along footpaths or driving along streets as a result of hedges or trees growing out into your path or line of sight, you can report the problem to Council with the address or the location of the property.

Overgrown land is associated with a number of problems within our community which, if left unnoticed, are potentially disastrous. Other problems associated with overgrown land are:

  • The land can become a breeding ground or a resting place for vermin such as rats, mice and snakes, all of which can live and nest in tall grass. These can cause disease and become a problem for surrounding residents.
  • Overgrown trees and shrubs may obstruct traffic control devices and pose a safety hazard to pedestrians and drivers.
  • The land becomes a perfect breeding ground for mosquitoes, especially in the wet season. This can increase the risk of mosquito borne disease outbreaks
  • In the dry season, the land becomes a fire hazard which may hamper fire fighters and can quickly spread to buildings and neighbouring properties.
Unsightly Allotments

Hinchinbrook Shire Council defines "Unsightly" as objects or materials that are brought on to, or allowed to accumulate on, an allotment causing its visual amenity to be seriously affected. "Unsightly" objects or materials are those such as discarded or disused machinery, second-hand material and similar objects. They also include derelict vechiles, old white goods, building materials and household waste.


The Hinchinbrook Shire is a great place to live. Keeping our yards free from overgrown vegetation makes our residential street more visually appealing and protects the community from vermin and reptiles. Here are a few tips on how to take pride in the appearance of your home: 

  • Store goods out of sight in your garage or shed.
  • Put your rubbish out weekly. Take advantage of Council's kerbside collection service for general waste and recycling and four free virtual dump vouchers for waste disposal at your local waste facility. 
  • Store objects or materials out of view and neatly stacked but ensure they do not harbour vermin. 
  • Dispose of old vehicles and machinery - some metal recyclers may collect and remove them free of charge. 
  • Cut or slash your overgrown vegetation regularly (whether dead or alive) and dispose of it responsibility , such as composting in an appropriate compost bin.
What if I notice an overgrown property?

In most cases the best way to resolve an overgrown or unsightly property issue is through polite and productive communication between yourself and the property owner. If you haven't already spoken with the resident about the overgrown property we strongly recommend you try this approach first.

If you have concerns about approaching or entering communication with your neighbour, or these measures have proven ineffective, you can report the problem to Council using the Make a Request or by phone (07) 4776 4600 with the details of the property and Council will being our investigation. 

How Council deals with overgrown and unsightly allotments

Council regulates a range of risks and threats relating to overgrown and unsightly conditions on private property under its Local Law No 3 - Community and Environmental Management Act 2012. When Council receives a complaint about overgrown vacant land or neglected dwellings, a Local Laws Officer will inspect the property and if necessary, make arrangements for the property to be cleared.

Council must give due notice (10 days) to the land's owner to remedy the breach. If no action has been taken when relevant time periods lapse, Council will issue an Enter and Remedial Notice to the Landowner and Council or its subcontractors will enter the property appropriately treat the overgrown or unsightly property.

These costs are invoiced to the property owner for payment. Additional penalties may apply if the owner has a history of non-compliance. 

It is important to note that achieving compliance under this process may take in excess of three weeks.

Make a Request

Make a Request

Request a service, make an enquiry or report an issue.

Click here to find out more