A+ A- A

About Council

Learn more about the Hinchinbrook Shire Council

Citizenship Ceremonies

Hinchinbrook Shire Council Citizenship Ceremonies

Events Calendar

A place where you can find and share events that are happening in the Hinchinbrook community.


Building Applications

Assessable Work and Self-Assessable Work

The Building Act 1975  divides building works into the following categories;

  • Assessable Work;
  • Self-Assessable Work; and
  • Exempt Work.

The owner of a premise is responsible for ensuring any proposed building work complies with applicable standards, such as structural sufficiency, size limits, Building Codes of Australia, Queensland Development Code and Council’s Hinchinbrook Shire Planning Scheme 2017.

Assessable Work

Building Applications

Building approval, also called 'certification' is required for development that involves carrying out building work under the Planning Act 2016, as well as under specific building legislation.

Building approvals require assessment against the Building Code of Australia (forming Volumes 1 and 2 of the National Construction Code) and Queensland’s Building and Plumbing Regulations. These codes and regulations are mainly concerned with issues such as:

  • Whether the building is soundly designed and constructed and will be safe;
  • That the building has an appropriate degree of fire safety;
  • Whether the building is adequately protected from pests;
  • Whether the building is adequately sewered and drained; or
  • That the building meets the minimum Energy and Water Efficiency standards.

While building approvals are usually only issued once for a specific structure or building, building legislation may require various technical inspections at different stages of the building process, including completion.

Hinchinbrook Shire Council has engaged Licenced Building Certifier, Mr Kai Simmons, to provide a building certification service on behalf of the Council. Mr Simmons works out of the Council Offices on Tuesdays and Fridays and is available to undertake inspections scheduled for these days.

Some examples of assessable building work can include:

  • New buildings;
  • Alterations and additions;
  • Swimming pools;
  • Shed/ Carports;
  • Patios;
  • Pergolas; or
  • Removal/ Demolition of buildings.

In order to lodge a development application for building work, you will need to complete Development Assessment (DA) Form 2 and submit to Council together with supporting documentation and payment of applicable application fee.

All DA Forms can be found on the Department of State Development, Manufacturing, Infrastructure and Planning website by following the link provided below.

DA Form/s

Council staff accepts building applications and undertake supporting administrative processes throughout the week.

Building Permits

Once the building application has been assessed and approved, it will be allocated a Building Permit (BP) number.

All Building and Plumbing Permits have a currency period of two (2) years from date of issue. If after this time you are yet to complete the building work, the applicant / owner will need to request an extension of time for the building permit in writing. This will then be taken into consideration and a decision made in due course.

Prior to a permit lapsing, a Form 57 - Reminder notice for the lapsing of an approval will be issued. If works have been completed, you will need to arrange a Final Inspection by contacting Council's Built Environment Team on 4776 4600.

Owner Builder

If an owner of a premise intends on completing building work on their own property, an owner builder permit may be required.

An owner builder permit is required for work over $11,000 which allows an owner to personally perform the building work and take on the role of head contractor on a building project.  The owner will then be responsible for engaging and co-ordinating contractors, completion and lodgement of any necessary building approvals and the scheduling of work.

An owner builder permit is not required for work to the value of $10,999; however a building permit is still required to perform the work.

Note: There are special provisions for farm buildings.  If the value is no more than $27,500 an owner can personally do this work.

Some examples of work which can be conducted as an owner builder:

  • New Dwellings;
  • Alterations and Additions;
  • Shed/ Carports/ Garages;
  • Patios; or
  • Pergolas.

Some examples of work which cannot be conducted as an owner builder:

  • Occupational work such as plumbing, draining, gasfitting or pest control (unless with an occupational licence);
  • Fire protection work in excess of $1,100 (unless with appropriate licence);
  • Commercial or industrial buildings (e.g. shops, industrial sheds, farm buildings); or
  • Multiple Dwellings (e.g. duplexes, boarding houses, blocks of units).

For further information, please call Council's Built Environment Team on 4776 4600.

Telecommunications in New Developments

If you are a developer or owner-builder, there are important Commonwealth telecommunications rules you need to comply with. For more information visit www.infrastructure.gov.au/tind.

Document Resources

All the necessary documents can be found below.