A+ A- A

About Council

Learn more about the Hinchinbrook Shire Council

Citizenship Ceremonies

Hinchinbrook Shire Council Citizenship Ceremonies

Events Calendar

A place where you can find and share events that are happening in the Hinchinbrook community.


Road Safety

Hinchinbrook Shire Council - Road Safety Implementation Plan 2021-2023

Road trauma has a devastating and long lasting impact on individuals, families and communities. Hinchinbrook Shire Council recognises that road safety is a major factor in the health and wellbeing of our community and is in an excellent position to build on its previous 2016-2018 Road Safety Implementation Plan. Our plan will link to the National and Queensland Road Safety Strategy documents for 2011-2020, and to the North Queensland Road Safety Action Plan to achieve positive road safety outcomes for the Hinchinbrook Shire community.

The implementation plan documents the major causes of road trauma in the Hinchinbrook Shire area and priority road safety actions for Council for the calendar years 2021-2023. Each action identifies the key goal, desired outcome and the timeframe for delivery, our partners and the responsible agency.

It has been recognised that even with the best preventative measures in place, road related crashes will still occur. Unfortunately, it is an inevitable consequence of mobility. However, it is a goal of Council over the next 10 years to reduce the annual numbers of both deaths and serious injuries on our roads by at least 30%. These targets will be challenging however it is believed through implementing a safe systems approach to road safety we can achieve our goals.

Road safety is a shared responsibility in which everyone has an important role to play. Inline with the worldwide Decade of Road Safety 2011-2020 we all need to work collaboratively, as a community to improve road safety in our Shire.

Road Safety Implementation Plan 2021-2023

Hinchinbrook Road Safety Advisory Committee (HRSAC)

Council works to balance traffic efficiency with road safety.

Council engineers assess road issues and traffic calming requests, review road safety, assess speed limits, process temporary road closure approvals, and upgrade bus stops and pedestrian crossings.

Council's Hinchinbrook Road Safety Advisory Committee (HRSAC) assesses transport and traffic issues and implements safety strategies. 

A copy of the current HRSAC Terms of Reference (ToR) can be viewed by clicking on this link - Hinchinbrook Road Safety Advisory Committee ToR

For a list HRSAC Meeting Minutes, please visit the HRSAC Meeting Minutes page.

Speed Limits

Across Queensland, a 50km/h speed limit applies to most suburban residential streets in built-up areas, unless otherwise sign-posted.

This 50km/h local limit operates on the basis that the reduced limit applies to 'local' streets only. Local streets are used mainly to access homes and private property and carry neighbourhood traffic. All other roads (arterials, major suburban routes) retain a speed limit of 60km/h unless a higher speed limit is sign-posted.

Queensland speed limits are set under the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD). This makes speed limits even throughout the state. Council determines speed limits on roads under its control in line with the MUTCD guidelines.

Traffic Calming

Traffic calming aims to make streets safer and more liveable, generally by reducing the speed and/or number of vehicles that use a particular street.

While traffic calming has its benefits, it is not the answer to all local traffic problems. Traffic calming cannot:

  • remove all through traffic.
  • eliminate hoon-like behaviour.
  • prevent traffic accidents.
  • prevent drivers from speeding.
  • solve parking problems.

In many cases where speed is seen to be an issue, the real problem is driver behaviour. This is best addressed through law enforcement, not changing the road's design. Not all streets are suitable for traffic calming and it is expensive to install. It can create additional noise and disrupt the flow of traffic, and may simply redirect the problem (speeding drivers) to another nearby street.

Safe School Travel

Schools are encouraged to establish a Safe School Travel (SafeST) Committee which can help a school community identify road safety concerns, and become an integral part of a school's safe travel strategy. Further information about a SafeST Committee can be found on the Department of Transport and Main Roads website.

To report road safety issues:

Call Council on (07) 4776 4600.

Any issues found on Queensland Government highways should be reported to the Department of Transport and Main Roads on 13 19 40.

Make a Request

Make a Request

Request a service, make an enquiry or report an issue.

Click here to find out more