A+ A- A

About Council

Learn more about the Hinchinbrook Shire Council

Citizenship Ceremonies

Hinchinbrook Shire Council Citizenship Ceremonies

Events Calendar

A place where you can find and share events that are happening in the Hinchinbrook community.


Rates and Water Search

How do I apply for a Rate and Water Search?

You can apply for a Rate Search by completing an Application for Property, Water and Building Data Form, returning to Council and paying the applicable fees. 

What is included?

This is an inspection of records only (quotes not applicable). Particulars are supplied as at the date the property information is inspected. A reading of the water meter (if connected) is available if requested on the search.       

How long does it take?

Rate Searches require five (5) business days completion time from when the Rates Officer receives them, however, you can request an Urgent Rate Search which will be completed within two (2) business days of receiving them.

Our aim is to provide quality customer service to our clients and every endeavour is made to supply property information by the time requested. If you supply us with an email address we will be able to forward your Property Search more quickly than by post.

How do I pay?

Applications must be paid in full prior to commencement and cannot be cancelled once processing has commenced.

We have a variety of payment options available, visit our Make a Payment page for more information.

I requested a Rate Search but haven't heard from you - how can I find out what's going on?

It is unusual for Rate Searches to take more than five (5) business days, however it can happen if the property is new or has recently been subdivided into new units. If you haven't heard from us after five (5) business days, please contact council 07 4776 4600, or email council@hinchinbrook.qld.gov.au.

I'm having a fence / boundary dispute with my neighbour - how can I find out about the boundaries of my property?

Council advises you to find the original survey pegs, or contact the Department of Natural Resources and Mines to obtain the original survey plan showing the boundaries of your property. If you need to know exactly where your boundary is, you will need to engage a private surveyor to survey the property to find the exact boundary line.

However, if you just require an estimate, a Council Officer can provide an Orthophoto Map (an aerial map which can be made to show boundary lines and distances) of the property(ies) in question. This is only an estimate, but will give some indication as to where the boundary lies. View our Fees and Charges.

For more information on neighbourhood disputes, view the Neighbourhood Disputes (Dividing Fences and Trees) Act 2011. You can also contact the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal, who look after neighbourhood disputes.

Related information

To find out more about Council Searches, visit our Property Buying, Selling and Searches page.

Contact Us

For further information about Rate Searches, please contact Council on 4776 4600 or to make an online enquiry click here to fill out the Rates Enquiry web form.

Visit us

25 Lannercost Street
Ingham 4850 QLD

Write to us

PO Box 366
Ingham QLD 4850

Phone us

07 4776 4600

Fax us

07 4776 3233

Email us