A+ A- A
search

About Council

Learn more about the Hinchinbrook Shire Council

Mayor and Councillors

Learn more about your elected members

Citizenship Ceremonies

Hinchinbrook Shire Council Citizenship Ceremonies

Community Events Calendar

A place where you can find and share events that are happening in the Hinchinbrook community.

Capital Works

Learn more about Capital Works and Water and Sewerage Capital Works.

hsc-logo-bird-element

Pensioner Subsidies and Rate Concessions

If you are the holder of a Pensioner Concession Card or a Department of Veterans’ Affairs Health Card – For All Conditions within Australia, you may be eligible for concessions on your rates.

The Queensland Government offers a Pensioner Subsidy of 20% to an annual maximum of $200 on your General Rates. If the eligibility requirements are met for this Subsidy, Council will automatically grant a Pensioner Concession of 20% on your General Rates also to an annual maximum of $200 which means a total of 40% up to an annual maximum of $400 off your General Rates.

If eligible, the concession will be applied equally to both Rate Notices.

You may be eligible to receive the subsidy if:

  • The Property which concessions are being claimed on is owned by you
  • The Property which concessions are being claimed on is your principal place of residence
  • You are not claiming a concession on any other property that you own
  • You hold one of the following concession cards:

    Queensland Pensioner Concession Card



    Department of Veterans' Affairs Health Card – for all conditions (Gold Card)


Pensioners seeking this Subsidy are required to complete and return an Application for Pensioner Concession form with a copy of their current Pensioner Concession Card or Department of Veterans' Affairs Health Card.

For further information contact the Rates Area on (07) 4776 4623.

Please note that pensioners currently receiving the Rate Subsidy do not have to re-apply.

What other Concessions are available?

In accordance with the Local Government Regulation 2012, Concessions may apply for general rates, water and sewerage charges to not for profit organisations as set out in the council’s Rate Rebate and Concession Policy (PDF).

Not for profit organisations seeking concession are required to complete and return an Application for Rate Based Assistance form.

For further information contact the Rates Area on (07) 4776 4623 or through Council's Make an Enquiry Page.

footer-logo-element2