Internet Usage Policy
Public WiFi Acceptable Use Terms and Conditions
Hinchinbrook Shire Council provides a number of public WiFi hotspots across the municipality via the Latrobe City Public WiFi Network, allowing community members and visitors access to free internet connectivity at those locations (the Service).
Access to, and use of, the Service is subject to Hinchinbrook Shire Council’s Public WiFi Acceptable Use Terms and Conditions set out below (the Terms and Conditions). By accessing and using the Service, you agree to be bound by the Terms and Conditions without exception or limitation and assume all responsibility and risk arising out of or in connection with your use of the Service. Hinchinbrook Shire Council may modify these Terms and Conditions at any time. You should therefore review them each time you log in.
1. Usage and Service Availability
Session time and download limits may be applied to use of the Service as deemed necessary by Hinchinbrook Shire Council at its discretion. These limits may be altered at any time without notice.
The Service may be altered, suspended, withdrawn or discontinued at any time without notice, at the discretion of Hinchinbrook Shire Council.
The Service is provided to you on an “as is” and “as available” basis. No warranty or representation of any kind is given in relation to the accessibility, security, quality or level of the Service.
The Service is not suitable for supporting any applications or use which require continuous, fault-free network connectivity or uninterrupted data traffic flow.
2. Unacceptable Use
The Service must not be used:
- For business or commercial use;
- In a way that could damage or interfere with the operation, integrity or performance of the Service or the equipment used by Hinchinbrook Shire Council to provide the Service;
- To send, allow to be sent or assist in the sending of unsolicited commercial messages or bulk emails;
- To gain access to, send, publish, promote or solicit receipt of material that is abusive, sexist, racist, unlawful, defamatory, harassing, menacing, threatening, pornographic, offensive, obscene, indecent, or discriminatory in nature;
- In a way that intentionally infringes copyright, patent, trademark, design or other intellectual property rights;
- For illegal, fraudulent or malicious purposes;
- For unauthorised accessing of computers, accounts, equipment or networks belonging to another party or unauthorised monitoring of electronic communications;
- To use or knowingly distribute any malicious computer code or software such as viruses, malware, Trojans, keyboard loggers, worms or data harvesting software; or
- In a way that could cause Hinchinbrook Shire Council to breach any law or incur a liability to a third party, or that could reflect poorly on the reputation of Hinchinbrook Shire Council.
3. Responsibility for Content
Hinchinbrook Shire Council does not exercise control over the content of websites you access while using the Service and makes no warranty or representation as to the accuracy, relevance or quality of any material you access or that such material is fit for any particular purpose.
The Service is provided on an open and public basis and Hinchinbrook Shire Council cannot guarantee security of the Service at all times.
The onus is on you as the user to take reasonable measures to protect the security of your device and data. It is recommended you do not send or receive sensitive personal information during your use of the Service.
5. Supervision of Minors
Hinchinbrook Shire Council is not responsible for supervising minors in access to and use of the Service. Supervision or restriction of a minor’s access to the Service is the responsibility of the parent or guardian.
Information about your device type, web browser and operating system may be collected, stored and used by Hinchinbrook Shire Council for the purposes of monitoring and improving the Service for users.
Hinchinbrook Shire Council may also collect, store, use and disclose your personal information for the purposes of delivering the Service or as required or authorised by law. Any personal information collected will be handled in accordance with all applicable privacy laws.
Hinchinbrook Shire Council is not responsible for third party collection or use of personal information and it is recommended you make your own enquiries to satisfy yourself in relation to the privacy policies of websites that you access.
7. Indemnification and Limitation of Liability
You will indemnify and hold harmless Hinchinbrook Shire Council and its personnel from and against any loss, damage, liability, charge, expense or cost (including reasonable legal and other professional costs on a full indemnity basis) arising out of or in connection with a breach by you of these Terms and Conditions.
Your use of the Service is at your own risk.
To the extent permitted by law, Hinchinbrook Shire Council and its personnel will not be liable for any costs or damages arising from or incidental to your access to and use of the Service including but not limited to:
- Loss of revenue, profit, anticipated savings, opportunity, data, goodwill, reputation or productivity and any indirect or consequential loss; and
- Direct or indirect damage to devices or loss of data.
Where liability cannot be excluded by law, it is limited to the minimum liability allowable by law.
If you do not comply with these Terms and Conditions, Hinchinbrook Shire Council reserves the right to terminate your access to and use of the Service on a temporary or permanent basis.
Please note - you will be required to re-log into HSC FREE PUBLIC WIFI every eight hours.