You are providing personal information which will be used for the purpose of delivering services and carrying out council business.
Your personal information is handled in accordance with the Information Privacy Act 2009 and will only be accessed by persons who have been authorised to do so. The personal information collected varies according to the types of transactions a person conducts with Council and the services provided. Some of the most common information collected by Council includes:
- Residential address
- Postal address
- Date of birth
- Telephone numbers
- Email address
- Photo and video images (for example, from security cameras at Council-controlled venues)
- Addresses of your property whether owned or leased by you
- Credit card information
- Bank account details
- Driver licence details
- Passport details
- Details of your eligibility for child related employment (for example details of your "blue card" and related correspondence) whether as employee, volunteer or otherwise
- Your vehicle description and registration details
- Details of your assets and liabilities, property(ies), your and your invitees' interactions with the Council (including Council officers, application forms, decisions by the Council and enforcement actions by the Council affecting you, your property(ies) or your invitee(s)
- Details of any pets or animals owned by you or registered in your name and any of your interactions with the Council regarding such pets or animals
- Copies of correspondence exchanged between Council and you, including Council records of any interactions Council has had with you
- If you are a Council employee - your Council employee ID, employee file, payroll number and your tax file number.
The information that Council collects is generally stored in Council databases and in hardcopy as well as on computers, external hard drives and mobile devices. We take precautions to protect personal information against loss, unauthorised access, use, modification, disclosure or other forms of misuse.
As a general rule, we use and/or disclose information in order to perform Council functions and activities, to provide services requested by individuals and to comply with our legal and legislative obligations.
Council may collect your personal information so that we can use it for the following purposes:
- To review and consider any applications or submissions to Council (for example, development and building applications, applications for licences or permits).
- To process any Council-related payments or transactions (for example, animal registration, property rates, an infringement notice, an application fee).
- To carry out any Council inspections (for example, building inspections and food or health inspections).
- To facilitate and organise Council’s civic, corporate or community events, including citizenship, prizes and awards ceremonies.
- To inform you of Council and local news and developments or to notify you of Council-related developments or events which you have requested to be notified of (for example, Council newsletters and notices).
- To assess your eligibility to be a Council volunteer, and to administer and co-ordinate Council’s volunteer programs and to communicate with our volunteers.
- To answer any search requests submitted by a member of the public for publicly available information (for example, property-related searches).
- To register your pets.
- To respond to any communications and correspondence you send to us – which includes answering any queries and dealing with any feedback or complaints you have.
- If you are a Council employee or have applied for employment at Council – to process employment applications and to process any employment related tasks (for example, to verify employment related matters and information, grant building and IT access and manage salary/wage arrangements).
- To investigate any complaints lodged by you in connection with Council, its employees or its functions and activities.
- To provide you with any Council information, services or products you have requested or are designed to better serve or promote the Hinchinbrook Shire Council.
- To assist us to determine your needs and requirements to enable us to provide you with the appropriate Council services and information you have requested (for example, to direct your call or enquiry to the relevant council department).
- To maintain any Council information databases, records or registers including those that we are required under Federal or State legislation to maintain.
- To administer and enforce any legislation which Council is required to administer and enforce.
- To verify any information you have provided to us.
- To contact you should we need to.
- To take any further action which we are required or authorised by law to take, including any investigative, enforcement and recovery action.
Council collects personal information for these purposes in a number of ways including when people contact Council directly by writing a letter, by telephone, email, internet or other form of electronic communication. When people visit and/or communicate with Council through our websites (for example through an online enquiry form) or social media sites or when people participate in a competition or promotion run by Council, personal information may also be collected.
We collect personal information via online forms or by email communications for the purposes of, for example:
- Contact details for tender / offer documents
- Contact details for applicants for advertised positions within Council
As far as possible, we will collect personal information directly from you (for example, during personal meetings, phone conversations, from the Council's website or social media or during Council's interactions with you including by correspondence or when considering your enquiries, complaints or applications). However, in certain circumstances, we may collect your personal information from a third party for example:
- If you are a minor – your parents or guardian
- From other government departments and bodies (for example, Department of Communities)
- From your current or former employer (for example, to obtain a reference check if you are applying for employment with the council)
- Council and other databases (for example, to obtain information about your properties in the event of any enforcement action)