The second round of public consultation on the Study to identify areas exposed to current and future coastal hazards including erosion and storm tide associated with State predicted rising sea levels will commence the week starting 19 October 2020.
Regardless of whether one believes in climate change or not, Queensland Government Policy now dictates that Local Governments have a legal obligation to plan for the forecast impact of climate change into the future. The Study, known as Coastal Hazard Adaptation Strategy (CHAS), will assist and inform on approaches to minimise risks to existing infrastructure and properties; new development in areas expected to be at risk from coastal hazards, both now and through to the year 2100; and look to protect intangible assets such as environmental, social and cultural values.
The CHAS, which forms part of the Queensland Government’s QCoast2100 Program, will look at both the frequency and intensity that potential coastal hazards could increase with predicted rising sea levels, and more volatile climate variability.
The Study, although being delivered by Council, is funded by the Queensland Government. For more information about the QCoast2100 Program or the CHAS, please visit www.hinchinbrookcoast2100.com
Consultation sessions will be held in Lucinda, Taylors Beach, Forrest Beach and Ingham, and be delivered in two formats:
- Presentations will cover material covered in community meetings held in December 2019 as well as an explanation of different coastal hazard adaptation options.
- Drop In Sessions will give residents an opportunity to talk to a coastal planner and ask questions about possible future adaptation measures.
Public consultation sessions will occur as follows:
Presentations - RSVP to Gaye - firstname.lastname@example.org or 0418 793 009
- Tue 20 Oct - Forrest Beach State School 5.30pm to 6.30pm
- Wed 21 Oct - Progress Park, Taylors Beach 5.30pm to 6.30pm
- Thu 22 Oct - Lucinda Hotel Function Room 5.30pm to 6.30pm
Drop In Sessions - No RSVP required
- Tue 20 Oct - Forrest Beach Surf Life Saving Club 2.00pm to 4.30pm
- Wed 21 Oct - Progress Park, Taylors Beach 12.00pm to 4.30pm
- Thu 22 Oct - TYTO Conference Centre 9.00am to 11.00am
- Thu 22 Oct - Lucinda Hotel Function Room 1.30pm to 4.30pm
Hinchinbrook Coast 2100