Council wishes to advise that the Hinchinbrook Shire has now been activated for the Australian Government Disaster Recovery Funding for residents who meet the applicable eligibility criteria.
The Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment is a one-off payment to help you if a declared disaster significantly affects you. It’s not for minor damage or inconvenience.
To be eligible residents must be:
- An Australian resident or hold an eligible visa;
- 16 years or older at the time of the floods or getting a social security payment; and
- Have not already received an Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment for the Far North Queensland Floods, February 2019.
You also need to have been adversely affected by the floods. For example:
- You have been seriously injured;
- You are the immediate family member of an Australian citizen or resident who died;
- Flood water has covered the interior floor of your principal place of residence;
- Your principal place of residence has been declared structurally unsound;
- Sewerage has contaminated the interior of your principal place of residence; or
- You are the principal carer of a dependent child who has experienced any of the above.
For the purposes of this payment:
- Your principal place of residence is the main place where you have a right or license to normally reside. It doesn’t include holiday homes or investment properties.
- You’re the principal carer of a child if, on any day of the major disaster, the child is your dependent and has not turned 16. You must have legal responsibility for the day-to-day care, welfare and development of the child.
If you’re a member of a couple, you can both receive this payment. You and your partner will need to complete separate claim forms.
You cannot claim on behalf of a person who has died or their estate.
If you’re eligible you will get:
- $1,000 per adult
- $400 for each child under 16 years of age.
- Call the Department of Human Services on 180 22 66 where they can take your claim; or
- Print and complete the Far North Queensland Floods, February 2019 – Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment claim form from the Department of Human Services website.
Residents who have experienced loss of income due to the rain event can contact the Department of Human Services on 180 22 66 for further information regarding assistance which may be available.