Council informs that at the General Meeting today, 28 April 2020 it resolved to provide financial assistance to Ratepayers and business proprietors affected by the financial impacts of the COVID-19 Pandemic.
Assistance will be provided through an approved application process that assesses the financial impacts of the COVID-19 Pandemic, consistent with the Australian Government and National Cabinet policies.
Eligible Ratepayers and business proprietors may apply for:
- Deferral of the requirement for the payment of unpaid rates and charges levied for the period 1 January 2020 to 30 June 2020, which were due on 31 March 2020 for a six month period until 30 September 2020;
- Waiver of the interest on unpaid rates and charges levied for the period 1 January 2020 to 30 June 2020, which were due on 31 March 2020 for a six month period until 30 September 2020;
- Deferral of the requirement for payment of lease and rental payments due and payable to Council in relation to premises leased or rented from Council for the period 1 March 2020 until 30 September 2020;
- Deferral for the requirement for payment of business license fees and other business related fees due and payable to Council for the period 1 March 2020 until 30 September 2020; and
- Agreed payment plan options that extend for a maximum period of twelve (12) months from 1 October 2020 for the deferred rates, charges, rent or lease payments.
Consideration of further support for the rating period commencing 1 July 2020 will occur in the development of the 2020-2021 Budget, including the development of a Financial Hardship Policy.
Mayor Ramon Jayo is urging Ratepayers and business proprietors experiencing hardship to contact Council immediately.
For further information regarding Community Financial Support for COVID-19 including eligibility criteria, please contact Council’s Corporate and Financial Services Director, Brett Exelby on 4776 4600.