A+ A- A

About Council

Learn more about the Hinchinbrook Shire Council

Mayor and Councillors

Learn more about your elected members

Citizenship Ceremonies

Hinchinbrook Shire Council Citizenship Ceremonies


Types of Assessable Development

Assessable development requires an application to be made to Council and require a development decision to be issued. There are two levels of assessment for assessable development:

  • code assessable – no public consultation required
  • impact assessable – public consultation required

The level of assessment required for a development is determined by the assessment tables in the planning scheme. Common types of assessable development applications are further detailed below.

Material Change of Use

A 'Material Change of Use' application is required when there is:

  • the start of a new use of the premises;
  • the re-establishment on the premises of a use that has been abandoned;
  • a material change in the intensity of scale of the use of the premises; or
  • the start or recommencement of a environmentally relevant activity (ERA).

Please refer to the assessment tables in the planning scheme to determine the type of land use and the level of assessment.

Reconfiguring a Lot

A 'Reconfiguring a Lot' development application is required when:

  • creating lots by subdividing another lot;
  • rearranging the boundaries of a lot by registering a plan of subdivision;
  • dividing land into parts by agreement (other than a lease for a term, including renewal options, not exceeding 10 years) rendering different parts of a lot immediately available for separate disposition or separate occupation, or creating an easement giving access to a lot from a constructed road; or
  • applying for an access easement.

Please refer to the planning scheme to ascertain Council minimum lot sizes and road frontages.

Operational Work

An 'Operational Work' development application is required when:

  • excavating or filling of land (i.e. earthworks including change of ground level for retaining walls, construction of a dam, profiling land);
  • civil works for new subdivisions (i.e. connection to Council and external infrastructure) and other works associated with a material change of use of premises or reconfiguring a lot;
  • undertaking road works on Council roads;
  • clearing vegetation in accordance with state legislation; or
  • undertaking landscaping works.

Building Work Assessable Under the Planning Scheme

A 'Building Work Assessable Under the Planning Scheme' application does not involve a Material Change of Use, but involves a building project which does not meet the standards required by the Hinchinbrook Shire Planning Scheme 2016, and needs to be assessed.

feedback-speech-bubblePublic Consultation

Have your say - Current Community Consultations.

Click here to join the Conversation
Join the FREE Hinchinbrook Shire Council Business Listing

Join the FREE Hinchinbrook Shire Council Business Listing

The Hinchinbrook Shire Council Business Listing is coming. Sign up for FREE today! 

Click here to find out more
Community Events

Community Events

Find out whats happening in the community! 

Click here to find out more

location-map-marker 25 Lannercost Street Ingham,
Queensland, 4850

contact-phone 07 4776 4600

email Email Us