Local Disaster Management Groups (LDMG) manage the response to a disaster at a local level. The Hinchinbrook Shire LDMG is chaired by the Mayor and the Local Government Chief Executive Officer is the Local Disaster Coordinator of the Committee. Local Disaster Management Groups develop and maintain Local Disaster Management Plans for their Shire. The Local Disaster Management Group is best placed to decide what resources are needed, when they are needed, and how best to apply such resources so as to minimise hardship and suffering.
Note: the updated Local Disaster Management Plan will be uploaded following adoption by Council at the general meeting of 29 November 2016.
Living in the tropics carries with it the responsibility of always being prepared for tropical storms and cyclones.
- Portable radio with fresh spare batteries
- Torch, fuel lamp, candles and matches
- Non-perishable food, (7 days supply) plus can opener, self contained cooking gear, plates & utensils
- Clean water in sealed containers, spare water containers (10L per person is recommended to last 3 days)
- Cold & wet weather clothing eg. jumper, waterproof jacket, hat & gloves per person, essential spare clothes
- Medical & sanitation supplies to last at least 14 days
- First aid kit and essential medicines
- Knife, whistle, duct/masking tape, and plastic (garbage) bags
- Tarpaulin and blankets
- Pet food, water bowls & other pet needs
- Tune into your portable radio constantly
- Batten down the house
- Secure doors
- Board or tape windows
- Secure outdoor furniture
- Secure loose articles inside
- Disconnect electrical appliances
- Lock up pets
- Fill water containers
- Fuel car and place under cover
- Remain indoors with your emergency kit; and
- Unless advised otherwise, remember that the safest shelter is in your home.
Be aware of shelter and evacuation options for residents in the Hinchinbrook Shire.
The Hinchinbrook Shire Council ‘Emergency Pantry List’ provides residents with important information and advice on how to ensure your household has an adequate supply of food, water and essential items to cope with a prolonged emergency situation.
Download your copy of the EMERGENCY PANTRY LIST.