Public Interest Disclosure (PID) Public Interest Disclosure (PID)

Council's Public Interest Disclosure Policy outlines its responsibility to ensure that public interest disclosures are compliant with the Public Interest Disclosure Act 2010 (PID Act) requirements to investigate all public interest disclosures.

How to make a Public Interest Disclosure

For a report to be considered as a PID, it must be from any persons with suspicions, concerns and/or information about:

  • A substantial and specific danger to the health and safety of all persons with a disability; or
  • An offence endangering the environment; or
  • Conduct which could be a reprisal.

As defined in the PID Act a public officer (a person who is an employee, member or officer of a public sector entity) can make a PID if they have suspicions, concerns and/or information about: 

  • Official misconduct; or
  • Maladministration; or
  • An offence endangering the environment; or
  • Misuse of public resources.

Complaints Management Complaints Management

Hinchinbrook Shire Council is accountable to the local community for its decisions, actions and services. Elected local government representatives are also accountable to the local community for the way they behave in carrying out their local government responsibilities.

Hinchinbrook Shire Council is governed by the Local Government Act 2009 incorporating the Local Government Regulation 2012.  Officers and Councillors are required to conduct their local government functions and activities in accordance with principles set out in these documents:

  • transparent and effective processes, and decision-making in the public interest
  • sustainable development and management of assets and infrastructure, and delivery of effective services
  • democratic representation, social inclusion and meaningful community engagement
  • good governance of and by local government
  • ethical and legal behaviour of Councillors and local government employees.


Hinchinbrook Shire Council values feedback, including formal complaints, so it can continue to improve its services and processes . 

If you have a complaint about a local government decision, service, a local government staff member or the conduct of a councillor you should refer to Council's Administrative Action Complaints Policy and complete the Complaint Form.

For more information on resolving issues and complaints with your local Council click here.