Plumbing and Drainage Applications Plumbing and Drainage Applications

An application to Council for approval is required prior to starting work. In order to lodge a plumbing and drainage application, you will need to complete Forms 1 and 7 (see below) and submit to Council together with buiding plans (Floor plan, Site plan etc), On-site design (If non-sewered area), Soil test report, and applicable application fee. Once work has commenced, contact Council to arrange an inspection.

Hinchinbrook Shire Council have a full time Plumbing Inspector, Mr Austin Zupp who approves and inspects all regulated plumbing and drainage work in the Hinchinbrook Shire.

Council staff accepts plumbing and drainage applications and undertake supporting administrative processes.

Regulated Work Regulated Work

Regulated work is defined by exclusion. Any plumbing and drainage work that is not defined as minor work or unregulated work, is therefore regulated work.

You must be a licensed person to perform regulated work and ensure you only perform the regulated work covered by your license (for example, a licensed drainer can perform regulated drainage work).

All regulated work must be assessed by council for compliance with the technical standards for plumbing and drainage. Before commencing regulated work, you must obtain a compliance permit/approval (approval of plans) for the proposed work.

Council is required to assess the regulated work at particular stages. It is the licensed person’s responsibility to arrange these mandatory inspections.

Any licensed person who performs plumbing and drainage work must ensure it is compliant with the Standard Plumbing and Drainage Regulation Act 2003.

Council will issue a final compliance certificate when the regulated work has been satisfactorily completed (approval of work).

Notifiable Work Notifiable Work

New amendments to the Plumbing and Drainage Act 2002 (PDA) have been passed to create a new category of plumbing and drainage work called ‘notifiable work’. This is due to come into effect from 1 November 2012.

Notifiable work will extend the amount of work a plumber or drainer can perform without a local government permit or requirement for mandatory inspections. This will reduce red tape, delays and costs for licensees, local governments and consumers. Notifiable work is expected to apply to the vast majority of work undertaken in existing buildings.

The new laws require licensees to notify the Plumbing Industry Council (PIC) within 10 days of completing the work via a Form 4. Plumbers and drainers will be required to give a copy of Form 4 or a ‘receipt of work’ to their customers. To help ensure that health and safety standards remain high, the Plumbing Industry Council and local governments will work together to audit licensees and plumbing work respectively to ensure that plumbers and drainers are complying with their obligations.

The new legislation also simplifies various categories of ‘regulated work’. Work that needs a permit will include all work associated with new buildings when they are first connected to water or sewer infrastructure and will be known as ‘compliant assessable work’. The current category of ‘other minor work’ will be renamed and expanded as ‘minor work’ and needs to be undertaken by a licensed person but not notified to the Plumbing Industry Council. To view a summary of these new reforms, please click here.

For more information, please contact Council's Building and Plumbing Department on (07) 4776 4659.