Frequently Asked Questions Frequently Asked Questions

Waste is part of modern day living which must be disposed of appropriately so as not to endanger lives and pollute the environment. Hinchinbrook Shire Council classifies waste in several different categories according to the source, method of collection and disposal requirements:

  • Domestic or Municipal Waste - includes household waste collected weekly by Council's kerbside service; wastes taken by individuals to landfill sites, and wastes collected from cleanup days and public litter bins.
  • Commercial Wastes - includes non-hazardous solid wastes produced by shops, offices, restaurants and hospitals. Private contractors provide a bulk bin collection service for commercial properties. Other commercial wastes are delivered directly to the waste facility by private enterprise. This includes builders' wastes and demolition rubble.
  • Regulated Wastes - are wastes with properties that require special consideration and handling. Special wastes may be of a commercial or industrial source and can include - Rubber tyres, Oil, Asbestos, Medical waste (treated), Food processing wastes, Batteries, Large trees/logs, Inert harmful wastes, Household hazardous wastes, Contaminated soil, and any type of hazardous waste.
  • Asbestos - For the definition of asbestos and more information please refer to Council's  public health page.

NB: These definitions are not strictly as per the Environmental Protection Waste Regulation 2000 due to the need to form more workable definitions. One of the important tasks of the Tipmaster is to ensure regulated waste is controlled at the landfill.