Building Applications Building Applications

Hinchinbrook Shire Council  has engaged Licenced Building Surveyor, Mr Kai Simmons to provide a building certification  service on behalf of the Council. Mr Simmons works out of the Council Offices on Mondays and Thursdays and is available to undertake inspections scheduled for these days. It is preferred that 24 hours notice is given prior to the scheduled inspection time.

Applicants considering residential, commercial or industrial projects need to be aware that the provision of the Hinchinbrook Shire Planning Scheme 2005 (Flooding and Inundation Code) will apply. This code requires that the floor levels of commercial and industrial buildings are required to be at or above the 1% annual exceedance probability (AEP) flood level (100 Year Flood Level). The floor levels of residential buildings are required to be at or above 1% AEP flood level plus 300mm. A Flood Certificate or other suitable documentary evidence is required at the time of lodgement to verify that this requirement has been met. Refer to the "Mapping and GIS page for the 100 Year Flood and Storm Surge Form"

Development approval is required for all building work, including new buildings, alterations and additions, swimming pools, shed/carports, patios, pergolas and the like, as well as the removal and demolition of buildings.

To make a development application for building work, you will need to lodge IDAS Forms 1 and 2, supporting documentation and the applicable application fee to Council either by post or over the counter at Council's offices. (Refer to Application Checklists below)

Council staff accepts building applications and undertake supporting administrative processes throughout the week.

Building Works Assessable Against a Planning Scheme (BWAP) Building Works Assessable Against a Planning Scheme (BWAP)

Building Works Assessable against a Planning Scheme [BWAP] applications do not involve a Material Change of Use, but involve a building project which does not meet the standards required by the Hinchinbrook Shire Planning Scheme 2005, and needs to be assessed.


Example include building projects that exceed the maximum height, size or boundary setbacks as specified in the Hinchinbrook Shire Planning Scheme 2005 and/or the trigger an overlay.

If you seek a copy of the BWAP application kit click here.  For more information on lodging a development applicaiton click here.

If you have any questions or seek further clarification please contact Council's Planning Services on (07) 4776 4609.

Building Permits Building Permits

Once the building application has been assesed and approved, it will be allocated a Building Permit (BP) number.

All Building and Plumbing Permits have a currency period of two (2) years from date of issue. If after this time you are yet to complete the building work, the applicant / owner will need to request an extension of time for the building permit in writing. This will then be taken into consideration and a decision made in due course.

Prior to a permit lapsing, a Form 57 - Reminder notice for the lapsing of an approval will be issued. If works have been completed, you will need to arrange a Final Inspection by contacting Council's Building Services on (07) 4776 4637.

Building Record Search Building Record Search

Details of building development approvals issued by Council pertaining to land within Council's area are available upon written request and payment of search fees.

To download the application form, see list below.

For further information, please call Council's Building Services department on (07) 4776 4637.